scattered happiness

It’s been an interesting week, and I mean that in a good way. I feel more aware of my strengths and limitations than I have in a while; I feel like I know what the hell is going on with my finances in a minute-by-minute way (with a glance to the long view). I’ve been tired, but I know that’s just from not quite enough hours of sleep.

I went for a half-hour ride Friday morning before my shower, and that gave me a jolt that seems to be hold through the day. I’ve been working on a very cool work project that has been engaging at a code-monkey level, and the first time I’ve waded through someone else’s code and really grokked it. And it doesn’t feel like goofing around, but like I’m doing something that will be honestly useful to students.

I’ve done a little more writing, although I’m a little sad to not be able to go with Kat & one of her writing class friends out to the coast this weekend. Just too much going on, mostly in a good way, to be able to run off on such short notice.

Even managed to stand up for myself in a somewhat awkward situation…. Back in April, I bought a bike rack & trunk that totally didn’t work with my bike, so I returned them and put some of the credit into a custom rack designed for my frame. Of course, I couldn’t decide what color (black or silver), so the guy said he’d order a black one, and if I didn’t like it, they’d have silver ones coming in later.

A few weeks after that, the black one came it, and I didn’t really like it. So I rode off thinking that the silver one was already on its way. (by the end of May, they said) and then C dropped by on Thursday and they said no, it wasn’t coming in, and they didn’t even have record of my payment.

Arg. C got them to get the order going, and then I looked through my records, first for the receipt — no dice — then for the bank records. Went to the shop Friday evening and it actually worked out very smoothly, partially because of the return, which meant that the whole transaction was in their computer. Alas, no rack until probably the end of June, but at least I’ll finally have one.

Yesterday I was feeling hausfrau-ish, and got a bunch of cleaning, laundry, etc. done while C was out at a friend’s daughter’s basketball game. It was immensely satisfying. In the afternoon, we talked about C’s various project plans, and in a much better way than I think we have done before. I tend to take all this stuff so personally onto myself, and to be honest, he doesn’t really help with that feeling most of the time. But this week I think we got onto a better footing, and I actually felt energized and engaged. Then a ride down to the library and back (whew…I usually take the bus back up the hill, but of course he’d hear nothing of it…) and that felt fantastic, even if I did need a shower afterward.

Slept later than I wanted this morning, but not really all *that* late, considering. Out at the coffee shop over by the farmer’s market now, sipping my tea and enjoying the free wifi, waiting to meet up with some friends down here. Other stuff on tap for today that I might write about later, depending on how it goes.

All in all, I’m starting to feel more like myself. Yesterday evening we were out watering the side garden, and C was spraying the oregano (that ate Cleveland), and I was leaning up against him all domestic-like, and I told him that at that moment I was happier than I had been in longer than I could remember.

And that’s entirely true.