emergency weblog; or: epersonae; or: elaine nelson

in which I write about stuff

Archives for the ‘General’ category

green kerchief

Sort of its own pattern!

  • the rounded starting tip from Santorini
  • 3st moss stitch on either side
  • increase to 81 stitches before eyelets
  • 2 rows moss stitch w/out increases after eyelet rows

Ending is taken from another kerchief (can’t remember which one)

  • cast on 20 st at one end & knit across moss stitch
  • cast on 20 st at the other end & knit across moss stitch
  • then bind off

I wish I’d done the eyelets maybe at 77 or 79 stitches and then only a single row of moss stitch before casting on the ties. (I.e., it’s a bit too big for me.)

Escargot

I started with #6 needles after reading comments and seeing how many people said it was way too big. (I have a dang small head.)

July 5, 2016

Might have gotten the decreases slightly wrong? Finished up and it’s got a bit of a point at the top. Ugh. Considering pulling back and redoing the very end to get a more rounded top.

July 6, 2016

Redid the top, still not 100% pleased, but it seemed good enough. Wove in ends, soaked, and blocked.

July 18, 2016

Straight up too long for my head. If I were to make it again (and it is hella cute, not that difficult), I’d start the decreases sooner and decrease faster.

Petite mademoiselle

11-20-2015

Finished back yesterday, just grafted two sides together. Looks a little odd, but it works.

Most likely going to block before seaming. I think it would really benefit from that. (also, still considering lining.)

Also thinking about learning just enough crochet to do the loop & strap.

July 5, 2016

Lo these many months later, I learned how to make a crochet chain! It’s on the short side, but looks cute. I’ve woven in ends, and I’m planning on keeping it at the office for carrying phone/wallet/keys.

Running Gag

June 10, 2016

Did all my prior notes get lost by editing in the Ravulous app? (Also, it set the happiness level to the lowest option. The hell?)

June 27, 2016

Some overall thoughts: after reading a number of other projects’ notes, I decided to do a fairly standard toe, just maintaining the ribbing through the decreases.

I feel like I’m not 100% sure I did the right set of repeats in the final run of the pattern on the 2nd (left) foot, but they look ok.

I’ll be curious about how the ribbed heel wears in comparison to a typical slip stitch flap heel.

And I really wish I’d made them longer, or at least made the cuff longer. :

Vivid Orchid Hand Thingies

Did 7 repeats on the wrist instead of 10, because I’m a little nervous about running out of yarn & it seemed long enough.

This is a really nice basic pattern, BTW, and FAST. (First hand completed in one day, split between yarnageddon time & D&D knitting.) Might make a pair for myself.

June 16, 2016

Gave these to Michelle (graduation gift) and they fit perfectly and even matched the clothes she was wearing today!

Garish Slip-Up Socks

I started making http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace-wings-socks but the pattern really didn’t work with this yarn! So I ripped back to the cuff and went forward with this pattern instead. The Lace Wings is 64 stitches vs 68 for this pattern, but since my standard sock size is 64st, I think it’ll work out.

Cuffs are ktbl1/p1 instead of k1/p1, again per the other pattern.

Am making these one at a time since I don’t want to rewind this yarn.

May 11, 2016

Finished sock #1 (I love that it has a bright green toe!)

May 17, 2016

OMG, forgot my phone today, which has the pattern on it, and it’s been just long enough since I last made socks that I forgot that heel-turning comes before picking up stitches for the gusset. Luckily, it’s very very very obvious what’s wrong as soon as the stitches are picked up!

Which is also to say that I’m already done with the heel flap for the 2nd sock.

Took a break & did the heel turn & pickup: all ready to go with the gusset….

Garish Slip-Up Socks

I started making http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace-wings-socks but the pattern really didn’t work with this yarn! So I ripped back to the cuff and went forward with this pattern instead. The Lace Wings is 64 stitches vs 68 for this pattern, but since my standard sock size is 64st, I think it’ll work out.

Cuffs are ktbl1/p1 instead of k1/p1, again per the other pattern.

Am making these one at a time since I don’t want to rewind this yarn.

May 11, 2016

Finished sock #1 (I love that it has a bright green toe!)

May 17, 2016

OMG, forgot my phone today, which has the pattern on it, and it’s been just long enough since I last made socks that I forgot that heel-turning comes before picking up stitches for the gusset. Luckily, it’s very very very obvious what’s wrong as soon as the stitches are picked up!

Which is also to say that I’m already done with the heel flap for the 2nd sock.

Took a break & did the heel turn & pickup: all ready to go with the gusset….

Pop Fizzle KAL

Learning brioche turned out to be one of the hardest things I’ve done with knitting in years. Just learning German Twisted Cast-On (which I ended up not using) was a struggle, then I cast on at least 3 times before giving up and trying a plain 2-color brioche scarf to figure out the basics.

Turns out doing brioche in the round with magic loop is really hard! So I switched from the really long old #6 needles to the interchangeable normal #6, short enough to just do in the round. That was much simpler.

The increases and decreases are tricky, but it helped to remember that each wrapped-together stitch, though consisting of two strands, is described as a single stitch.

Overall, I ended up enjoying it! I’m thinking about making more, oddly enough.