1. How did you get into web design and web development? Was it by accident or design?
Entirely by accident, if by accident you mean random curiosity. I have a BA in English (with a Creative Writing emphasis!) which means that 6 years ago I was working as an administrative assistant when I had the good fortune to have a cube neighbor who worked on the Web site for our office, and a boyfriend (now husband) who was a computer nut. I started asking Tom about Web stuff, he showed me Webmonkey, and the rest is history.
2. If you could replace all the Muzak in the world with your favorites, what artists/styles would you choose?
All New Wave, all the time. 😉 Actually, I remember being really disturbed at some point in college when I was sitting in a Sherri’s and I heard Depeche Mode in Muzak.
3. Give your pitch for the world’s worst reality TV series.
What is this “reality TV” of which you speak? I suppose CSPAN is untoppable for reality TV; it would be “cool” if they added a survivor-like element, take the congress to some desert island. or better yet, make them live on poverty level wages. or something.
or conversely, watching the aspens, blackberries, and morning glories in my yard battle for dominance.
4. Your 30th birthday is this year. [Sept 10…start your shopping now!] Any regrets about your 20s? Are your approaching your thirties with optimism or pessimism?
I wish I’d been more assertive: at work, with my personal life. There’s a relationship that ended when I was 22 that I wish very much that I’d handled differently, but I don’t know if I’d say that I regret the way it turned out.
I’m not of the philosophy that things happen for a reason — the idea of fate annoys me — but I think every event has positive and negative results, things that wouldn’t have happened otherwise. You can spend your whole life thinking about what would’ve happened if, but that’s a poisonous way to think.
Most of the time I’m feeling pretty optimistic about my thirties. I’m finally starting to get the hang of being a grown-up, and I like it.
I do have moments of violently intense nostalgic, where I wish I could live things over again, be the person I was then; but they pass. And sometimes I’m terrified of the passage of time. I was at a party over the weekend where most of the people were Evergreen students, and someone asked me what I was studying in school, or something to that effect, and I realized that I haven’t been in school for eight years, which is a little freaky.
On the other hand, I still have this feeling of having all kinds of things out there ahead of me that I don’t necessarily know what they are, and that’s a good feeling.
5. Any food allergies or aversions we need to know about?
No allergies, but I don’t like onions or peppers. It’s the texture, mostly. And I don’t do very spicy food, although I’m willing to stretch a little every once in a while.
Dylan posted on the Interview Game the other day, and I figured it’d be fun. I’d love to spread the love…leave a comment if you want to be interviewed!
1. leave a comment, saying you want to be interviewed.
2. i will respond; i’ll ask you five questions.
3. you’ll update your website with my five questions, and your five answers.
4. you’ll include this explanation.
5. you’ll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.