Shamelessly stolen from Dorothea, and in lieu of the SNOWPOCALYPSE post that’s been rattling around in my head, I present an end-of-year meme:
- What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Opened my time capsule from 1988. I’ve never opened a time capsule before, and it was a crazy-nutty experience.
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Probably not, since I don’t remember what they were. (No, I’m not looking.) I have one resolution/goal for 2009: do the critical house projects.
- Did anyone close to you give birth? 3 of our neighborhood association board members had kids this year!
- Did anyone close to you die? No.
- What countries did you visit? Only the one I live in. As for states, Oregon & Texas.
- What would you like to have in 2009 which you lacked in 2008? A finished kitchen.
- What date from 2008 will remain etched in your memory, and why? The day I spent with HA in March, because we had such a good time and really reconnected. (It’s more complicated than that, but still good.)
- What was your biggest achievement of the year? Work site redesign!
- What was your biggest failure? The painfully slow progress of any sort of house work.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? Other than the post-SXSW flu, it’s been a pretty healthy year physically.
- What was the best thing you bought? My new bike!
- Whose behavior merited celebration? Elizabeth’s: she was amazingly brave trying a move up here, even if it didn’t quite work out.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My own, quite often. I had some serious depression-related backsliding, especially the last few months.
- Where did most of your money go? The usual: mortgage, bills, etc. More debt than I’d like.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about? Going to SXSW. 🙂
- What song will always remind you of 2008? anything off of The Chameleon’s Under the Bridge, just because we’ve listened to it a lot lately. I bet there’s other stuff, but it’s not floating to mind at the moment.
- Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer? A little sadder, I think; definitely thinner; about the same.
- What do you wish you’d done more of? Taking pictures, writing, otherwise being creative.
- What do you wish you’d done less of? Moping, watching videos.
- How will you be spending New Year’s? I seriously have no idea. Probably hanging out at home with C.
- Who did you spend the most time on the phone with? Other than C? Ummmm…Elizabeth? Kat?
- Did you fall in love in 2008? Ha! I remain an old married lady. 😉
- How many one night stands in this last year? Don’t you wish you knew…. (Of course not, silly, and if I had, would I be telling all the internets?!)
- What was your favorite TV program? Not that much TV, even in Netflix. A lot of South Park online the last couple of months, and we re-watched the whole Avatar series. Plus, ummm, the whole 1st season of 90210, which I had never seen before.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate? That’s a strong word. There’s a person or two that I have a stronger antipathy for than previously, though.
- What was the best book(s) you read? Traffic (Vanderbilt); Nixonland (Perlstein); Good Calories Bad Calories (Taubes); The Happiness Myth (Hecht); Court of the Air (Hunt). I wouldn’t mind getting in a little more fiction.
- What was your greatest musical discovery? Brian Ferry. (Yeah, really. C got me a CD last year.)
- What did you want and get? To go on a micro-trip for my birthday, like last year. To go to SXSW.
- What did you want and not get? What stands out most is the Ute (cargo bike), because we pre-ordered in August, and the bike shop is saying now that it’ll be probably at least February before they get in. Grrr. I want a bike I can carry 20lbs of cat food on!
- What was your favorite film of this year? Of this year? I’m trying to think if I’ve actually seen anything made this year. We haven’t seen a movie in the theater at all this year. (Goes scooting thru Netflix history.) Oh, wow, The Bank Job is from 2008. I really liked that one. Also, Standard Operating Procedure. I don’t think “like” is the right word, but it was fascinating.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn? Played Wii, ate cupcakes, turned 34.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having a vegetable garden.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? At work, business casual, with lots of pants this fall. At home, bike-style, capris, pants that roll up, technical fabrics. Also, alas, still working through wardrobe downsizing. Oh, and 2008 was the year when I discovered wool. 🙂
- What kept you sane? Is it snarky to say Wellbutrin? But seriously, folks: bicycling. Lots and lots of bicycling. Also, occasionally, teh twitter (et al).
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Meh.
- What political issue stirred you the most? The whole goddamn election.
- Whom did you miss? Kat, just cause we don’t see each other that often. Of the dead? Grandpa Nelson, I think, but I think that’s the answer every year.
- Who was the best new person you met? I really enjoyed meeting Dori Smith at SXSW, also Catherine Nolan. More locally, I think Tim from the neighborhood association is pretty awesome.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Let’s call these re-learned, in spades. 1) Sometimes you just have to start DOING stuff to get going. 2) Other people have different wants & needs. 3) I can look back on my younger self and love the goofy awkward girl that was.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: it’s obvious that I don’t listen to enough music, because I have no freaking idea. Let me think about that & get back to you.
…the way you say my name
takes me back to ’95
before my broken heart
caused me to cheat & lie
I thought you were uptight
you thought I was troubled boy
little did we know what we know now
all this time
that’s gone by
all this time
And happy new year, everybody!