emergency weblog; or: epersonae; or: elaine nelson

in which I write about stuff

Fear of Committenment

I just realized that this yarn goes really well well with this line, which I listened to again yesterday: “So you’re laying on your back and you’re looking up at the sky, and the sky is this… unnatural light purple color.” So that’s a thing.

(Altho in retrospect, I think my most recent Honey Cowl is a better color that way.)

May 1, 2017

JFC, yesterday I realized that I should’ve been decreasing for the last three repeats, so I pulled back and got reset at the end of the 2nd repeat. Aaaaaaand then I realized that the decreasing starts at the end of the 3rd. Ugh. Plus I’m going to have to do some rearranging of the stitches to get the decreases in the right places? This is not an especially well-written pattern, alas.

May 8, 2017

Either my row gauge is hilariously wrong, or this is made for someone with MUCH shorter arms than mine. (Did an extra pattern repeat at the narrowest point.)

May 10, 2017

Ugh this pattern is just not well written. I got all the way thru the gusset increases then looked at the picture in the pattern: yup, I was supposed to have been doing those added stitches in k2p2 ribbing. Welp, I’m not pulling back again unless I frog the whole damn thing, so I’ve just started ribbing from where I’m at.

May 15, 2017

Naw, but seriously this pattern. I totally missed the bit about casting on 2 new stitches when moving thumb stitches to scrap yarn. Although at least I caught it right away so I only had to pick back one round.

May 19, 2017

Did one repeat plus 6 rows after the thumb instead of three, because I don’t want them that long. (Oh, and didn’t do the 4 end rows, which I almost missed, because I don’t need the decrease.) I probably could’ve ended 2 rows sooner for the way I like them to hit on my hands.

Did the full 10 rows of thumb ribbing.

I am extremely ambivalent about these mitts now that they’re done. The cabling is off-center, and the forearm decreases and thumb gusset increases look sort of odd. But they’re comfy, and I hate frogging.

Next time I get a big thing of DK yarn, I might actually try rewriting, because I like the concept a lot.

Honey Cowl 2: purps

This was my project for keeping my hands busy during the Catalog Summit. Was debating whether to use both skeins, but decided to make two so I can give one away.

Petty Harbour

March 7, 2017

Started heel flaps! Did 14 repeats of the patterns, looked to be about the length I like on my socks, a little nervous about running low on yarn.

(For the first inch or two of the pattern, I was having some thoughts that maybe the patterning was getting lost in the variegation. But now I think it’ll have a nice subtle effect.)

March 15, 2017

Finished gussets (tbqh, the hiya-hiyas I bought at Madrone are almost too short for doing gussets 2-at-a-time)

March 28, 2017

Had to put the socks on hold for a bit because I lost my tapestry needles and some of stitches were on the wrong needle for the toe decreases.

Today I finally got this taken care of and got into the toe decreases!

March 31, 2017

Ended up decreasing down to 20 stitches instead of 28 to get the correct length.

Sparkly birthday hat

Used tubular cast-on

January 17, 2017

Just feels too tight of a knit. Maybe too bulky of a yarn for this needle? Going to rip back to ribbing and either switch to another pattern or try with larger needle.

January 18, 2017

Ripped back to the ribb…

recipe of the month :: align mitts

February 3, 2017

So I don’t have a hard time finding it later:


R1: N1 * k1, p1 repeat a total of 6 times, m1L, k1, m1R, * p1, k1 repeat to end, N2 & N3 knit

R2: N1 * k1, p1 repeat a total of 6 times, k3, * p1, k1 repeat to end, N2 & N3 knit

R3: N1 * k1, p1 repeat a total of 6 times, m1L, k3, m1R, * p1, k1 repeat to end, N2 & N3 knit

R4: N1 * k1, p1 repeat a total of 6 times, k5, * p1, k1 repeat to end, N2 & N3 knit

continue on this way increasing on either side of the gusset and knitting gusset stitches until there are 17 stitches increased

next round: * k1, p1 repeat a total of 6 times, place 17 gusset stitches onto scrap yarn, CO 1 st, * p1, k1 repeat to end, N2 & N3 knit

March 17, 2017


The Sweater of the Winter of Our Discontent

This was a “mystery” yarn that was given by a friend who had it given to her. No labels at all and I just guessed it was sport weight by the gauge.

Striping/color blocking was somewhat guesstimate, as was increasing/decreasing, sleeve diameter and length.

I love the fit of the body but right now I’m meh on the hood & collar. It feels like it’s just going to slide off of my shoulders.

Given the fit now and my personal preferences, I’m not doing a button band or buttons. I’m going to pick up a zipper and probably just sew it directly to the edge. (I may need to knit on a very small band to just have enough non-lace to attach the zipper.