This is significantly too big for me with the pattern as written; I ended up making serious revisions which I’ll probably publish as its own pattern.
July 28, 2016
Had set these aside after getting confused about why I had too many stitches on the 2nd repeat of the lace row…realized I’d read it wrong. 🙁
So I tinked back 3.5 rows and kinda started over.
I love this pattern. I’m almost certain it’s too big for my ankles, and I don’t know what to do about it. :\
August 1, 2016
Calculated decreases (see photo of notes) and went down to 56 stitches, which seems about right.
August 4, 2016
Started heel flap on slightly rearranged stitches to get the full 1/2-width. Will need to reset after the turn to get the pattern right again.
August 5, 2016
For heel turn row 1: sl1, k15, ssk, k1, turn.
Continue as written
Last row is RS, ending with 15 stitches.
August 10, 2016
Starting toe decreases after a row 6 of the pattern.
August 11, 2016
Cast on 2nd sock!
August 22, 2016
Into the gusset. Have been documenting the alterations; some minor differences between the two socks, but I think maybe they can be reconciled for a final version?
A weird list from one of my recent obsessions.
Sort of its own pattern!
- the rounded starting tip from Santorini
- 3st moss stitch on either side
- increase to 81 stitches before eyelets
- 2 rows moss stitch w/out increases after eyelet rows
Ending is taken from another kerchief (can’t remember which one; ed 8/3: added to list.)
- cast on 20 st at one end & knit across moss stitch
- cast on 20 st at the other end & knit across moss stitch
- then bind off
I wish I’d done the eyelets maybe at 77 or 79 stitches and then only a single row of moss stitch before casting on the ties. (I.e., it’s a bit too big for me.)
I started with #6 needles after reading comments and seeing how many people said it was way too big. (I have a dang small head.)
July 5, 2016
Might have gotten the decreases slightly wrong? Finished up and it’s got a bit of a point at the top. Ugh. Considering pulling back and redoing the very end to get a more rounded top.
July 6, 2016
Redid the top, still not 100% pleased, but it seemed good enough. Wove in ends, soaked, and blocked.
July 18, 2016
Straight up too long for my head. If I were to make it again (and it is hella cute, not that difficult), I’d start the decreases sooner and decrease faster.
December 21, 2016
Took to my sis to see if it would fit her (big!) head. Nope. The pointiness of the top is super-obvious. :\ And I hate how it fits/looks on me. So: frogging it is.
I started making http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace-wings-socks but the pattern really didn’t work with this yarn! So I ripped back to the cuff and went forward with this pattern instead. The Lace Wings is 64 stitches vs 68 for this pattern, but since my standard sock size is 64st, I think it’ll work out.
Cuffs are ktbl1/p1 instead of k1/p1, again per the other pattern.
Am making these one at a time since I don’t want to rewind this yarn.
May 11, 2016
Finished sock #1 (I love that it has a bright green toe!)
May 17, 2016
OMG, forgot my phone today, which has the pattern on it, and it’s been just long enough since I last made socks that I forgot that heel-turning comes before picking up stitches for the gusset. Luckily, it’s very very very obvious what’s wrong as soon as the stitches are picked up!
Which is also to say that I’m already done with the heel flap for the 2nd sock.
Took a break & did the heel turn & pickup: all ready to go with the gusset….
ZOMG these increases are hard to follow. I mean, I’m getting what it’s supposed to do, but my brain hurts.
March 10, 2016
I may have done some cock-eyed increases in the shoulders over the last few days, especially since I did a bunch of knitting at an all-day mandatory training. Might keep going anyway.
March 23, 2016
I agonized for days (while sick no less) whether to go with the increases as written, try for another set, or even rip back and reknit with my “old style” (ie, 4.25mm) #6 needles. The pattern says it’s approximately a “L or European 42”, which research says _might_ be too small?
But during a bout of insomnia on Monday morning, and after looking at it again, measuring everything again, etc, I decided to just go with pattern as written.
April 6, 2016
Yesterday cast off the body, today started on a sleeve.
April 11, 2016
Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised at how fast this was to make. I finished off the sleeves with garter instead of ribbing, because I wanted them to bell instead of contracting. Wondering if I ought to have done with the same with the bottom? Had just enough yarn for this pattern; either the sleeves or the body could’ve been just a smidge longer but I like leaving myself extra if I can. Really looking forward to wearing this once it’s finished drying!
June 27, 2016
Update after a few months of wearing off and on: I like the shape a lot, but the wool is a little heavy and the underarms have felted a bit.
Did 7 repeats on the wrist instead of 10, because I’m a little nervous about running out of yarn & it seemed long enough.
This is a really nice basic pattern, BTW, and FAST. (First hand completed in one day, split between yarnageddon time & D&D knitting.) Might make a pair for myself.
June 16, 2016
Gave these to Michelle (graduation gift) and they fit perfectly and even matched the clothes she was wearing today!