emergency weblog; or: epersonae; or: elaine nelson

in which I write about stuff

Archives for the ‘knitting’ category

The Sweater of the Winter of Our Discontent

This was a “mystery” yarn that was given by a friend who had it given to her. No labels at all and I just guessed it was sport weight by the gauge.

Striping/color blocking was somewhat guesstimate, as was increasing/decreasing, sleeve diameter and length.

I love the fit of the body but right now I’m meh on the hood & collar. It feels like it’s just going to slide off of my shoulders.

Given the fit now and my personal preferences, I’m not doing a button band or buttons. I’m going to pick up a zipper and probably just sew it directly to the edge. (I may need to knit on a very small band to just have enough non-lace to attach the zipper.

Drop Stitch Cowl

Making with mystery (probably worsted weight?) yarn from Thao.

December 1, 2016

So I got to the end of the yarn, and tbqh it’s not really scarf-length, although it looks amazing!

I’m going to try to graft the live end onto the cast on end…

January 23, 2017

Finally grafted live edge together with cast-on edge with a sort of modified Kitchener stitch. Looks pretty good!

A Pussy Hat

January 18, 2017

I added some random cables (all left-leaning) on one side, just to make it more interesting.

It’s not long enough to wear with the ribbing folded over, but that’s my pref.

(Let’s just say that I used the pattern as a general guideline.)

Peterloo

Tubular cast-on! It’s magic! (Seriously, though: it’s tricky but makes a much nicer edge for ribbing!)

I probably could have made this a few rows longer, and I sort of wish I had. It’s a little close-fitting.

Was gonna be a present, but he was there when I finished it, so…

beehive cap

I guess this is its own pattern! The goal was something that sort of perches on the back of the head that my bangs can peek out of. And the color of the puffin is very similar to the color of the ImagiKnit I made into a Honey Cowl, so I wanted something that went along.

Re, incorporated patterns:
2/2 ribbing as in quick stocking hat
Body as in honey cowl
Decreases as in Jellybeanie

The total length before starting decreases is about 6”.
Decreases in the knit rows, first decrease was k2, k2tog, all following decrease rows were k1, k2tog.
Slip/purl rows as close to keeping in pattern as possible.
Ended at I think 8 stitches on a decrease row.

If I had wanted a more slouchy hat, I would have used a size larger needle on the body and gone longer before decreases. (But I’m not much for slouchy hats, tbqh.)

honey cowl cap

I guess this is its own pattern! The goal was something that sort of perches on the back of the head that my bangs can peek out of. And the color of the puffin is very similar to the color of the ImagiKnit I made into a Honey Cowl, so I wanted something that went along.

Re, incorporated patterns:
2/2 ribbing as in quick stocking hat
Body as in honey cowl
Decreases as in Jellybeanie

The total length before starting decreases is about 6”.
Decreases in the knit rows, first decrease was k2, k2tog, all following decrease rows were k1, k2tog.
Slip/purl rows as close to keeping in pattern as possible.
Ended at I think 8 stitches on a decrease row.

If I had wanted a more slouchy hat, I would have used a size larger needle on the body and gone longer before decreases. (But I’m not much for slouchy hats, tbqh.)