- Bans on Insurance Coverage of Abortion | American Civil Liberties Union
I don’t even.
- Web Surfing Makes You Work Better, Study Says – WSJ.com
"According to a new study, Web browsing can actually refresh tired workers and enhance their productivity, compared to other activities such as making personal calls, texts or emails, let alone working straight through with no rest at all." And given the examples, possibly even more important for people doing routine work. (Which are those most often blocked from browsing!)
- Community arts center to open at Loma Alta school site (altadenablog)
A lot of my friends from junior high went to that school. Nice to see it getting reused. (My first elementary school is now a charter school. Not sure how I feel about that.)
- Long-neglected L.A. River now open to paddlers – CNN
"For seven weekends this month and in September, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is allowing the public to make canoe and kayak trips on a 1.5-mile stretch of the 51-mile waterway."
- Christmas 2010: The Lives of Doctors: Bicycle weight and commuting time: randomised trial
"Evidence based cycling is not high on the bicycle salesman’s agenda." – study author saved about 30 SECONDS (on a 27mi ride!) with a carbon frame vs a steel frame. I’ll stick to my big ol’ xtracycle, thanks. Interesting that the time difference of winter vs summer (7mins) vastly overwhelmed the difference in frames. I’ve had the same experience.
Digest powered by RSS Digest